flue Sulphur and arsenic are impurities often found in association with tin ore. The earliest method of disposing of them was by burning until the arsenic was oxidised; the poisonous fumes which resulted were allowed to escape into the surrounding countryside. By the 1860's a more sophisticated form of burning house, the Brunton Calciner, became common. It had an enclosed revolving hearth, connected to a complex system of flues in which the arsenious oxide was trapped as a soot, later to be dug out and sold. A tall stack, designed to assist the draught as well as to disperse the sulphur fumes, marked the end of the flue. Vertical metal straps on the outside of the Calciner helped the building to withstand the immense heat of the furnace.

This Calciner on the Redruth road was part of the Tinyard, one of the original works owned by the Uren Brothers. The sketch shows the tortuous journey of the arsenic through the flues, which, unusually, are built vertically up the hillside.

This is the progress of the tin through the Mill.


History of Tolgus Stream Tin & Lode Tin Management & Workers 12-headed Cornish Stamp Sulpher & Arsenic Waste Disposal.
Water Power The Sand House The Slime Plant. Assaying. Smelting Trevithick Trust
TOLGUS Tin streaming at Redruth