11 Ahead in Falmouth Road on the right is a garage, incorporating a former coach works, with a clock in the gable end. Beyond is Trewirgie School of 1886 (left). The 1870 Education Act led to the opening of Board Schools for ordinary families' children in many towns - but few were as commanding as this one. It had room for over 900 pupils and was the largest Board School in Cornwall. There are wings for kitchens and woodwork rooms, and gardens which figured in the teaching.
Back | Map | Onward