up Fore Street to the London Inn, (below) which has fine sturdy granite
columns at the front door. Return to the junction and walk down Green Lane,
which led to the Green, Plain-an-Gwarry (which means the Playing Place),
where miracle plays and sports took place in medieval times. On the right
is Belmont House, very handsome,
rebuilt in 1837, and a doctor's house for over 200 years. The local doctors
were important people in the mining district.
5 Across the road is the Masonic Hall (1876), a typical Gothic building interesting carvings (although apparently these were not originally thought good enough to be paid for!). Further down on the left is the former Radical Club (1886), now Bellevue Club, recalling the high tide of radical politics that carried Charles Conybeare, 'the Miners' Friend' to Parliament.
6 Return to Fore Street. The view down the street is a fine one. There was much rebuilding in the late 19th century, and above today's shopfronts is a wealth of interesting detail. Lloyds Bank was a branch of the Cornish Bank. The entrance to Symons Terrace is a typical slate-hung building, which has a 'false' painted window.
Back | Map | Onward