6. What happens to our baggage?
On each day during the tour that clients move on to new accommodation
baggage of up to a maximum of 20kg* per person is transferred to the next
night's stop. All you need to do is label the baggage clearly with your
name and leave it where instructed by the proprietor of the previous night's
accommodation. Each label should also state the total number of pieces
of baggage your party has. Baggage is normally collected at around 9.30am
and delivered within an hour.
* on some tours 15kg.
7. How do we find out more about the trip before booking?
- From the relevant trip page on this web-site (this is now our only
brochure/catalog). We no longer produce a paper brochure. Go to our
Home and Index page or
see left margin (you may have to scroll down to see all its options)
for a list of all our tours - there is a page for each one.
- From the trip Factsheet. These are more detailed information
sheets, one for each tour, which should be obtained from The
Discerning Traveller before booking. The Factsheets are not
currently available on the website. Factsheets are listed
and can be ordered by e-mail on the page Factsheets
and e-mail enquiries. Alternatively our postal address
is The Discerning Traveller, 38 Canal Street, Oxford OX2 6BQ, United Kingdom. Telephone and Fax 0(044)1865 515618.
- Ask us - by phone, fax, e-mail or post. If you phone, best do so on
Mondays to Fridays, UK office hours (9am to 5pm). If no reply, leave
a message and we'll get back to you. Factsheets are listed on the page
Further information: factsheets and e-mail
8. What is the booking procedure?
Full details, including booking conditions, booking form and payment methods
are on the page How to book. Prices
are on each tour page. You can choose between using the online booking
form, in which case prices are automatically calculated, or printing the
booking form out and completing it by hand. If your booking is made more
than 55 days before the start date of the tour you can opt at this stage
to pay the deposit only (20% of the total price of your booking), paying
the balance 55 days before the start date. For bookings made less than
one month (30 days) before the start date there is a late booking surcharge
(of £25 per person in 2014). This is to cover additional costs such as
express delivery of the map and route notes package.
9. What happens after we book?
- The Discerning Traveller acknowledges receipt of your booking
and reserves the accommodation you have asked for. If there
are any difficulties with obtaining what you have requested (e.g.
only double room available rather than twin room on a particular night)
we contact you.
We then send you by post/fax/e-mail the following documents:
- A Confirmation Invoice, confirming the trip you have
booked and who it is booked for, the amount paid and the balance
- A Tour Schedule (TS), with full details of the accommodation
(dates, addresses, phone numbers, type of rooms, meals arranged)
and details of baggage transfer arrangements (i.e. who will
be moving your baggage each day).
- We also send you an Equipment & Preparation leaflet
(EQ). This contains among other things a list of recommended
equipment and clothing, suggestions on how to prepare for
the trip, and some general information on Britain.
- Between 8 and 4 weeks before the start date of the tour (or,
in the case of a later booking, after we have received your
full payment) we post you the Information Package (Infopack)
for the trip. Alternatively the Infopack can be sent to the
first accommodation to await your arrival. For contents of
the Infopack see the next section on this page.
10. What does the Tourpack (Information Package)
- Tour Schedule (additional print-out);
- Route Notes; these are detailed directions (specially researched
and exclusive to The Discerning Traveller) for each day of
the tour, including suggestions on where to stop for a pub
or picnic lunch; opening times of National Trust and similar
properties (houses, castles and gardens) on or near the route;
for more about our route notes.
- walkers' maps normally at 1:25,000 scale (2.5 inches to one
mile or 4 cms to 1 km) with the walking route highlighted
and position of each accommodation pinpointed;
- relevant public transport timetables, including public transport
links normally used during the tour (availability, particularly
of current bus times, is variable, but we do our best);
- in some cases an overview map, usually at a smaller scale
than the hiking maps;
- in some cases a publication with background information on
the area of the tour is also included; for instance on our
Cornwall (Land's End) tour we include a booklet with details
of archaeological monuments on and near our route;
- other relevant local information as available. Exact contents of the
Tourpack will vary according to which tour you are on and also according
to availability of some of the material.
11. and finally...
You travel to the starting point (directions for getting there are provided)
and start the tour! We hope you have a great time. Although we rarely
get to meet our customers we do like to know how things are going, and
for this purpose we may try to contact you by phone during your trip (or
at least to ask one of the accommodation proprietors how you are getting
on). We also welcome feedback after the tour - this is our means of Quality
Our postal address is The
Discerning Traveller, 38 Canal Street, OXFORD OX2 6BQ,
Telephone and fax 0(044) 1865 515618. E-mail:email@example.com